Snowplow Forums banner

Old School Diamond Conversion Project...pics

15K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  Fastjohnny 
#1 ·
I am hoping the final result of this project will be a MM(x) system that I will adapt my old school 8 foot diamond (heavy sucker) to a MM(x) system. Thanks to King Of Diamonds/Nascar 24 where he moved a Fenner pump on the homemade frame of a sidekick, which gave me this idea. I got a uppper and lower fisher MM frame on ebay cheap. It is is shipping, should be here soon. the Fenner pump was from my 85 Chevy. Here are some picks of building the box. It is all alum. The heavy plate is under it and bolts to the pump. I have to find a spot to mount it on the frame. I may use KOD/Nascar 24's idea to mount it to the A-frame. Not sure yet when I mock it all up. Verticle mounting would be cool too ala Insta-Act but I have to change the tank configuration around. I will be using a 7 pin semi truck connector for the control and a phillips 2 lug for the power. Lights will be connected with weatherpack connectors.
Here are some pics.

This is the material. I have 24 bucks into it(angle). The rest was scrap.

The layout after the angle was welded and the lower plate.

Here is the bottom. This heavy steel plate will support the Fenner pump. This plate will have brackets welded to it when I find a good spot on the plow frame.

Here is the homemade sheet metal brake I made from scrap a while ago.

See less See more
#2 ·
pics continued

This is the layout of the top of the box. The lines are drawn for bending in the brake.

Not a bad bend for a homemade scrap unit.

Second Bend.

Just a little filing will get it even.

Cont..

#3 ·
Continued

Here is the pic. I have the sides cut and ready to TIG on. I will drill and tap holes in the angle so the upper box will bolt on.

Stay tuned. I will post my project as I progress. Hopefully I will be ready for snow.

T.J.

#4 ·
Nice Job!

It really wasn't my idea to build the Zuki plow with the pump on the a-frame, just was the most suitable place for the pump since it wouldn't fit under the hood, so I stole the idea from Blizzard and Snow way, it certainly added some weight to the light ATV blade

I especially like the brake! I would like to make one about 6' long, just to make body panels.

Keep up the great work!

Jay

#6 ·
I made the brake from someone drawing somewhere online. I would have to look it up.

Here is the upper and lower headgear I am going to use. I got it on e-bay.
A lot of hardware was missing though. Still pretty good for the price. Next up I will be adapting the Diamond A-Frame to the lower headgear. This ought to be fun.:D
T.J.

#7 ·
Made more progress on the box. Got the ends welded on and drilled and tapped the holes in the base for the cover. I just have to get the 10-32 stainless screws and I am done with the box. My alum. tig welding is a little rusty. I have tiged alum in a while.

#11 ·
Project Cont...

Got some more work done today. This is the nity grity of converting the Diamond A-Frame to match the lower gear of the Fisher Minute Mount frame.
Where the A-frame mounts on the Fisher is about 1 1/2" difference (Diamond is wider).
So here is goes. Broke out the plasma cutter and cut away. I then ground the ends as square as I can get it. I started the mock up (see wood). I need to lengthen the A-Frame as well. I need to get about a foot or so of 2x3x1/4" wall rectangle tubing tomorrow. I should have this fully welded by next weekend. After that strip the plow and paint it. I need a couple trip springs as well.

Cont...

#13 ·
Did not really get much done this weekend. Too many other "to-do's".
I did get some steel for the A-Frame. Everytime I buy steel it seems to go up. I got 4 feet of 3 x 2 x 1/4"wall and it was 42 bucks.
I also needed new angle cylinders. Mine were shot and rotted. I got these beefy ones (free from a buddy who had them laying around). The cylinders are 2.0" vs 1.5" diameter. They are a little longer than the stock ones but that is no big deal. I will make new stops if I need to.
T.J.

#14 ·
Got some more work done today. Lining this up was more difficult than I thought. This is the second design. The first design took me most of the day and I scrapped it and started over. This is what I ended up with. Full welds and maybe some gusseting tomrrow.
T.J.

#15 ·
I did the full weld and then started the mockup. I also cannot use the aluminum box that I made for the cover on the pump. Packaging prohibits me from doing so. I make a plate to mount the pump on the frame. I have to make this pump verticle. I need to change the pickup tube around. I also want to put an elbow on the filler cap if I can find one or make one somehow. Anyway I added 5 inches to the length of the A-Frame. I thought it was going to be too long. I mocked it up and the truck only dips 1 inch and does not seem that bad.
Here are pics. Next up wiring and paint. Then I am done with this project. I have only about 220 bucks into this project so far.
T.J.

#19 ·
I am also going to gusset and fish plate the welds in case anyone is questioning this. I am not done yet. I also took apart the trip springs (that sucked) and I am ording all new springs and other parts as well. Now it is off to the sand-blaster.

T.J.

#21 ·
Great Job!

All this for $220? Wow, lots of iron for so little!

I have seen a few guys taking a diamond blade and making them fit the Minute mounts around here, nothing as nice as your work. Your going to love that old school Diamond, those torsion trips are very smooth and they will certainly peel up the ice!

I just took an old school Diamond Quadrant and converted it to a MDII, couldn't find one so I just decided to remake it, 5 hours and $120 in materials, got it done, now I got another one to do on a 9' Diamond.

Keep the pictures coming!

#22 ·
Well so far I have 220.00 into it. I just dropped it off at the sandblaster today. He quoted me 250.00. Not bad, but I don't want to deal with stripping the plow. Yes Jay I have used this Diamond for 15 years. I do need to get some trip springs too. I am still ahead of the game. I added some guessets and plates today. I will take pics soon.
T.J.

#23 ·
Got the plow back from the sandblaster. They did a great job. I found a couple of pin holes and fixed them. I also welded a D-Ring so I can move this thing around the yard easier. Here are some pics.
T.J.

#24 ·
well i always had that idea of using a diamond blade with fisher hydro . but i sold it with the last truck so i guess it will not be happening lol. definatly a great blade can't wait to see it all painted up .

#25 ·
Hi

Here's an Old School Diamond that I converted last season to a New School MDII, I re did the horse collar push frame and added a set of Meyer MDII hinges. This plow was in fabulous condition, used very little and stored for many years, just couldn't see it get cut into a skid mount. The guy who bought it loves in, he's pushing up in Canada with it.

#28 ·
Made a relay panel that will mount to the raditor support solidly. I found a piece of scrap alum. and bent it up. I then located the existing bolt holes on the radiator support and turned up some bushings. Then tig welded them to the back of the plate and counter bored them. The bolt head in the picture is how I held the bushing in place while welding. I am building my own light wire harness like I had in my old truck. The **** Cepek relay will control my lights on my headache rack. I will be making a clear plastic cover for this panel as well to give it some protection. Here are some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.